Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Gran


I have been so fortunate in my life, that except for the year and a half that Tim and I lived in Mississippi, I have lived within 15 minutes of my grandparents. Most of my life, I have seen them every Sunday at Church. Growing up, I would sit with them during services and Gran always had gum, candy or something. My first and second grade years of school were at Mabelvale Elementary where Gran taught 5th grade for I don't know how many years. Those years were so cool because I got to see her every day. I have some of the most cherished memories of Gran and I in her classroom, going home with her from school, her teaching me to read, playing at her house, camping at Greers Ferry and riding to her house from Church for Sunday lunch (both of which for all my growing up years were rituals). I remember very vividly the Sunday that we ate a quick lunch and all piled in cars to Barton Coliseum to see her receive her Masters Degree from UALR. If you have not gathered it by now, Gran is a very special person. Sometime in the next few days Gran is going to be going in for surgery to repair her throat so that hopefully she will be able to eat a normal diet. This surgery is very delicate and for a woman of 87 quite a risk. Please lift this precious lady up in your prayers. Pray that her body will react positively to the surgery. Pray for the Doctor and staff attending her throughout the whole ordeal. Pray for the family that we will all have God's peace about it, and lastly pray for Grandpa. He has been such an example of a servant over the last few years. To watch him take care of her is something that will bring tears to your eyes. The past few years have stolen quite a bit of Gran's cognitive abilities, and she stays confused and angry a lot of the time. He is always so patient with her, and he is constantly watching out for her. I guess after 65+ years of marriage you really do become one person. His health isn't fantastic, and I wonder how much of him still living is because he knows she needs him so desperately. It is so hard to watch two people who have been such an intimate part of my life and making me the person who I am today in the twilight of their lives. I am so thankful for every memory that they have blessed me with, and I am so thankful that my children have them in their lives too. Please pray!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Jill, Your Gran is such a lovely lady. She is so welcoming and gives me a hug every Sunday, even when I didn't know who she was. You are so lucky to have so many wonderful memories with her. I will keep her in my prayers this week. I love reading your blog. You guys are so funny.
Amanda

The Warriors said...

We are praying that it goes well!! Let us know...and I just want to say that you are a God send. But if at anytime you regret offering to keep Lydia just let me know!

Jamie said...

Jill, your Gran is the cutest thing. I saw a picture of her over at Julie's house the other day. She had a pink bow in her hair. She is precious!

JoEllyn said...

Your grandparents are the cutest and have always been so sweet!! I will definitely be praying for them. Keep us posted! Ya'll have a great time this weekend.