Thursday, December 6, 2007

Remembering Andrew

Andrew is the 2nd from the right.
One year ago, I lost a good friend. Andrew and I had known each other for more years than I can remember, and he knew me better than most people did. Our friendship was funny because we fought so much of our time in high school. We were both very headstrong, and for some reason, we chose each other to duke it out with when either one of us was spooling for a fight. We had some memorable ones too! The thing is that when push came to shove, either one of us would have fought to the death for the other one. It was more similar to a sibling relationship rather than friendship. In the year since his death, I have thought about our relationship a lot. I figured out that Andrew was the only person who would call me out on my bratty behavior. Whenever I would get too sure of myself he made sure that I knew he wasn't putting up with it. Oh the times. In his high school years, Andrew was hilarious. (As long as his barbs were not directed at you.) One of the stories that was told over and over at his memorial service was how Andrew was cut from the basketball team his senior year. I remember that day like it was yesterday too. It was such a devastating thing to him because he had played basketball with the other guys since elementary school. Over the years, he used that as a quip on life, but there was another side of the story that wasn't told. A lot of guys his age would have been angry and never shown their faces at the ballgames. Not Andrew. That season he never missed a game. Not only did he not miss a game, but he was the biggest cheerleader there. He made the games so much fun. That year we were voted the rowdiest crowd in Arkansas. He was so talented at making the other team so frustrated and they couldn't play to their optimal. More than once, we had to sneak Andrew out of gyms. We got in trouble more that year and had more fun doing it! I think that Mr. Diles read us "The Sportsman's Creed" in chapel after EVERY home game, and a few away games. It was more fun that I can put into words. There are so many stories that I carry with me from those years that today will still make me weak with laughter. In his adult years, Andrew dedicated himself to CAC and the students in the school. He touched so many of their lives, and his dedication to them was beyond any teacher that I have ever seen before. There are young people in this world that are Christians because of the influence he had on their lives. What a legacy to leave behind. So, one year later, I want to pay tribute to my friend. Andrew, I am so proud of the life you led, and I am so glad that you were my friend. There is a void in this world that will never be filled. I will see you again some day. Until then...

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Jill, that was a nice tribute to your friend. It is hard to believe that it has already been a year since he passed away.

JoEllyn said...

He WAS an INCREDIBLE guy!!! I think about him almost every time I drive by CAC!

The Warriors said...

You made me cry...when I was going through one of the worst times in my life he wrote me the longest letter about all the positive things about myself and in my life. I still have it, and it is now one of my most treasured posessions!! What a godly man...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I'm so thankful that others remember and cherish Andrew. It helps me to know that his friends truly loved him. I'm working on a blog that will have many mentionings of Andrew and my struggles in grieving him. I'll get back to you.

Merry Christmas! My parents will be here in NC with us this year. Hopefully the change will be helpful in getting us through the holidays. (Not to mention how fun Brady will be at 23 months!)
Love- Ashley