Tuesday, December 4, 2007

School is exhausting!

This week has gone by in a blur, and it is only Tuesday night. I always had this idea in my head that when my kids went to school I would have free time. Now, I am wondering how in the world that I am going to survive next year when I have two in school! Monday morning started by getting to school and leaving at 9Am to begin our field trip. The four 1st grade classes began their singing rounds in the Baptist Hospital lobby.

You can always see Claire because of her bow!

My sister brought my grandmother to see Claire sing! I am so thankful to have such a thoughtful sister. Because of her, Claire had her Great-Grandmother there to see her sing.
From the lobby, we marched 80 children, with their entourage in tow, around to Baptist Rehabilitation Institute. They once again sang their songs for the crowd there. There was one man that I sat near that enjoyed those children like nothing I have ever seen before. He had a smile plastered on his face and was quietly singing along with them. Occasionally he would wipe away a tear. After their performance, I asked his therapist to wheel him over to the children so I could take a picture of them with him. I am going to print it out tomorrow and take it to him. It was very special to see the children touch someone like that without even knowing what they were doing.

From there, we once again marched the 80 1st graders to the Baptist Hospital cafeteria for lunch. It wasn't the most relaxing lunch to say the least, but they were all super well behaved the entire day. The teachers had done an amazing job in getting control of them before we ever left the school. After lunch, we loaded them back onto the buses and went to the state Capital. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Due to some inside connections, our class was able to go into the Govenors office, and later he came and found us for a photo opp. Of course, my camera decided to act up when I had the perfect opportunity to photograph my kids in a beautiful place. After a little touring, the kids sang once again. They were so exhausted by this point that during their songs yawns were breaking out all over the place. I think several of them fell asleep on the busride back to school. All in all it was a great day!




This picture cracks me up!

Today was the Baker Bazaar, which was TONS AND TONS of work. Each class produces a product to sell and hopes to make a profit. Our "class" (meaning me and another mom or two) made Window Warmers (tights cut off at the top of the leg, filled with rice and decorated with felt and google eyes to look like animals.) I am proud to say that we made around $400 for our class to buy some great new books, and several other items they need to further their ever so important educations. It was a long day as well (10am-8pm) so I feel like I have been run over by a Maack truck! I am going to go downstairs and relax now. I am looking forward to this weekend in Dallas! It will be another year of memories to be sure! Look out big D here we come!

1 comments:

Cortney said...

What a fun day! What an impact those sweet kiddos made on that little man. Looking forward to this weekend!!!